For an easy-to-print .pdf version of this week’s discussion questions, click HERE, or continue scrolling to read.
Next Gen Sunday: We Love the Next Generation
Sermon-based discussion/reflection questions
- Next Gen Sunday: We Love The Next Generation – Once a year, Live Oak dedicates a Sunday to cast the vision of why we love the next generation and prioritize them as a mission-field to be engaged with intentionally. We believe that EVERYONE should do something to know, invest in, and love the next generation.
- DISCUSSION/REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
- When you were younger, what was challenging for you in life? In your faith journey?
- What stood out to you from the message this week?
- Jesus Commissioned us as followers of Jesus to “go and make disciples of all nations” in Matthew 28:19- 20. Doug pointed out that “all nations” is translated from a world that means “people groups” or “tribes”. How does the Great Commission speak to the importance of investing in the next generation?
- In the Great Commandment given by Jesus as recorded in Matthew 22:37-40, we are told to Love God with all we have and love our neighbor as ourselves. How does the Great Commandment speak to the importance of investing in the next generation?
- Doug pointed out that loving our neighbor isn’t just about the people who neighbor us in a specific place, but also that loving our neighbor means loving the neighboring generations. What does that mean to you?
- READ: Matthew 9:35-38. In this passage, Doug coached us in a game plan for loving the next generation. What do you see in this passage that helps us engage the next generation?
- Doug pointed out that in this event recorded in Matthew 9:35-38, Jesus challenged them to pray for the Lord of the harvest to send workers into the harvest field. THEN he sent His disciples to be the answer to their own prayers. How do you think God may be sending you to serve in a specific and official way at Live Oak and/or in a organic way in your everyday life?
- Doug challenged us with a core value at Live Oak: “We believe that EVERYONE should do something to know, invest in, and love the next generation.”
- Talk about what it means and why it is important to do each of these things:
- INVEST TIME in the next generation
- LEARN in the next generation
- LISTEN in the next generation
- PRAY in the next generation
- SERVE in the next generation
- NEXT STEPS: What is your NEXT STEP based on the message? How will you put it into practice? Be specific.
- What is one thing you will do this week to know, love and invest in the next generation?
- *Memory Verse: Psalm 78:4 “…we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.”
- PRAYER: Spend some time praying for Live Oak as we seek to love the next generation. Spend some time praying for someone you know who is in the next generation (Ages 0-22). Spend some time praying about what you will do to know, invest in and love the next generation.
- Scripture References: Psalm 78:4-7; Matthew 19:13-15; 16-22; Matthew 28:19-20; Matthew 22:37-40; Matthew 9:35-38