For an easy-to-print .pdf version of this week’s discussion questions, click HERE, or continue scrolling to read.
IF/THEN: The U-Turn Principle
Sermon-Based Discussion/Reflection Questions
October 10th, 2021
- IF/THEN: Sometimes God works in NOT so mysterious ways. People often say, “The Lord works in mysterious ways.” That statement is true. However, God created the world to work in some specific ways, and God often works in ways that are not that mysterious. God is not a God of confusion. God is a God of clarity. In this 7-week series we will look at some of the paths, principles and promises that God has put in place that can bring clarity to what it looks like the have clarity and direction in a world of chaos and confusion.
- The U-Turn Principle – In Week 6 of IF/THEN, we talked about how IF you are going the wrong way, THEN you need to turn around. The Bible tells us that all of us need a UTurn/change of direction called repentance. If you are going the wrong way, you don’t have to keep going.
- DISCUSSION/REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
- Icebreaker: House on Fire – Ask the members of your group to imagine the following scenario: “Your house is on fire, and everyone is safe. You have 30 seconds to run through the house and collect three or four articles you want to save. What would you grab? Why?”
- Talk about a time when you were going the wrong way and had to change direction or change your behavior. (It can be funny, practical, spiritual, etc.) What stood out to you from this week’s sermon?
- READ 1 John 1:5 – 2:2. Make as many observations as you can.
- What is the difference between confession and repentance?
- Doug used several words and phrases to describe what repentance is. Talk about each word or phrase by describing what it means and why it matters:
- Responding to God’s love.
- Why do you think we sometimes confess our sins but not repent and change direction?
- READ 2 Corinthians 7:9-20. What is the difference between Godly sorrow and worldly sorrow?
- Doug stated that the three things that help us make good decisions are God’s Holy Spirit, God’s Word, and Godly and wise people. He also said those are also three things that help us recognize we are going the wrong way. How do each one of those help us recognize we are going the wrong way and make a U-turn of repentance?
- NEXT STEPS: Everyone has a next step to apply what we have learned. What is your next step from this week’s message? Be specific.
- MEMORY VERSE: *Challenge yourself or your group to commit this verse to memory: Acts 3:19 “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord”
- PRAYER: Spend some time praying for each other.
- Scripture References: 1 John 1:5-2:2; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; John 16:8; 2 Corinthians 7:9-11; Psalm 51:10-13; James 5:16; Revelation 3:19; Matthew 3:8; Acts 3:19; Psalm 139:23-24 23; 2 Chronicles 7:14