For an easy-to-print .pdf version of this week’s discussion questions, click HERE, or continue scrolling to read.
Everyday Faith:Growing an Everyday Faith Because Faith is Needed Every Day
Sermon-Based Discussion/Reflection Questions
May 2nd, 2021
- Everyday Faith: Growing an Everyday Faith Because Faith is Needed Every Day. In this 8-week study of the book of James as James, the brother of Jesus, teaches us to have an everyday faith that thrives in a world where faith is very much needed but not easy to build. Be here and lean in for Everyday Faith because faith is needed every day.
- Everyday Faith: Everyday Temptation – In Week 4 of Everyday Faith, we looked at how James challenged us to think about temptation and how Jesus taught us not just how to pray about temptation, but also how that prayer calls us to more.
- DISCUSSION/REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
- When you were first told about Jesus, was the emphasis more on following him or simply believing in him?
- Doug listed out some questions to think ahead about where you are tempted most often. Which one is the most helpful question for you to consider to better understand how to think about your temptation moments?
- WHEN AM I MOST TEMPTED?
- WHERE AM I MOST TEMPTED?
- WHO IS WITH ME WHEN I’M MOST TEMPTED?
- WHAT TEMPORARY BENEFIT DO I GET IF I GIVE IN?
- HOW DO I FEEL RIGHT BEFORE I’M TEMPTED?
- READ James 1:13-15; 4:1-3. What stands out to you from this passage? How does it inform how we think about temptation?
- Do you play or have you ever played the “Sin now, Ask forgiveness later” game with God? When did that start?
- Read Hebrews 4:15–16. What stands out to you? What difference does it make that Jesus was tempted in every way?
- Can you honestly pray: “Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil”? Does the thought of that create a bit of anxiety? Tension?
- NEXT STEPS:
- Everyone has a next step to apply what we have learned. What is your next step?
- MEMORY VERSE: *Challenge your group to commit this verse to memory: Matthew 6:13 “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”
- PRAYER: Spend some time praying for each other and the temptation battles we are all facing. Pray for the boldness to surrender and live each day and each moment taking serious Jesus’ invitation to “follow me.”
- Scripture References: Proverbs 22:3; James 1:13-15; James 4:1-3; Matthew 6:13; Matthew 4:19; John 3:16; Matthew 16:24; Hebrews 4:15-16; James 1:12