For an easy-to-print .pdf version of this week’s discussion questions, click HERE, or continue scrolling to read.
Parables: How the stories of Jesus impact the stories of our lives. Sermon-Based Discussion/Reflection Questions Week 1: The One About…Strategic Farming June 6th, 2021
- Parables: How the stories of Jesus impact the stories of our lives. In addition to the profound statements Jesus made, he also taught in two other ways: He asked questions and told parables. Parables are stories designed to make a point and this was how Rabbis taught at that time, but no one told a story like Jesus did. In our summer series called Parables, we will look at how the stories told by Jesus impact and inform the stories of our lives.
- Parables: The One About…Strategic Farming – In Week 1 of Parables, we looked at a parable Jesus told about the seed and the sower as recorded in Mark 4:1-20.
- DISCUSSION/REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
- Think about a season in your life when you were experiencing identifiable spiritual growth. What was happening in your life at the time?
- READ Mark 4:1-20
- What OBSERVATIONS can you make from this passage?
- Doug identified 4 soil types that help us know steps we can take for God’s Word to thrive in our lives:
- SOIL #1 = God’s work in our life depends on our openness.
- SOIL #2 = God’s work in our life has to be a personal commitment.
- SOIL #3 = God’s work in our life has to be our first priority.
- SOIL #4 = God’s work in our life is an ongoing series of choices.
- Which one best represents your life and the steps you need to take to “work the soil”?
- Doug said the bottom line is: “The only one responsible for my spiritual growth is me.” What does it look like for you to take responsibility for your spiritual growth this summer?
- Doug’s challenge to us was to “get busy growing and get busy sowing?” How can you sow God’s Word into the lives of others in your life?
- NEXT STEPS: Everyone has a next step to APPLY what we have learned. What is your next step?
- MEMORY VERSE: Joshua 1:8 “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”
- PRAYER: Spend some time praying for your words and how they could be life giving this week.
- Scripture References: Mark 4:1-20; Hebrews 3:12-13; Ezekiel 33:31-32; Luke 6:49; Luke 11:28; Matthew 6:25-33; Hebrews 12:1; Isaiah 55:10-11; James 1:25; Joshua 1:8-9; John 14:23