Best. Summer. Ever! A Study of Philippians
Sermon-Based Discussion Questions and Resources
*If you are watching this alone, use these as reflection questions. You may want to journal and write down your responses. If you are watching with others, have one person lead the discussion by reading this discussion guide and questions out loud after you watch the sermon.
- Best. Summer. Ever! A Study of Paul’s Letter to the Philippians
- This summer we will dive deep into the apostle Paul’s letter to the church in Philippi. Paul wrote this letter during a time when he was quarantined under house arrest. He was locked down and things on the outside didn’t seem like they were going well, yet Paul seemed to thrive. How DID he thrive in these circumstances? How was he able to find joy and purpose in the midst of hardship? What if having the best summer ever or even the best day ever has nothing to do with our circumstances and everything to do with a “secret” Paul knew about thriving in difficulty? Join us this summer as we read the Philippians’ mail that God sent through Paul that has now been forwarded on to us in the Bible, developing a thriving faith in you.
- Rethinking Worry: In Philippians 4, Paul challenges us to rethink worry. His game plan for battling anxiety is: Rejoice in the Lord, pray about everything, worry about nothing, be thankful, think about the right things, and put it into practice. He also tells us to “present your requests to God” which means that just praying about them but turning them over to Him.
- How do you typically handle unexpected events in your life?
- Read Philippians 4:1-9
- Paul shows us in Philippians 4 that we don’t have to worry because God is in charge.
- How has worry influenced your thoughts and actions?
- Why do we so often allow ourselves to be consumed by worry?
- What’s keeping you from giving your worries over to God?
- How would you describe your current level of trust in God?
- What steps do you need to take to build your trust in Him?
- What specific worries do you need to give over to the Lord today?
- NEXT STEPS:
- What is your next step based on this week’s message?
- Read and reflect on the rest of Philippians 3:1-21.
- Memorize Philippians 4:6-7“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heats and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
*Scripture References: Philippians 4:1-9; Romans 8:35; Matthew 6:25-34