For an easy-to-print ,pdf version of this week’s discussion questions, click HERE, or continue scrolling to read.
Sermon-Based Discussion/Reflection Questions
February 21st, 2021
- Fireside Chats: Building a faith like a roaring fire. We can find some significant fireside chats in the Bible and the Bible uses the image of fire many times to communicate important truths. Gather around the fire as we have some fireside chats about building a faith like a roaring fire.
- Fireside Chats – In week 1 of Fireside Chats, we looked at one of the first and most famous fireside chats in the Bible when God spoke with Moses through a burning bush (Exodus 3). From this encounter we can learn some important truths about hearing from God and how God uses everyday moments to move us into His story and His process of refining us.
- DISCUSSION/REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
- Have you ever heard from God? When? Where? What was going on?
- READ: Exodus 3:1-10
- Doug challenged us today to not miss any of the holy moments God may have for us to hear from Him. What did you hear in the message that could help you not miss those holy moments where God is speaking?
- CS Lewis said to “Look and go on looking until you see all that is there.” What do you think that means? How do you do that?
- Doug talked about a story Ken Gire tells in his book, Windows of the Soul, where someone asked a rabbi, “Why did God speak to Moses from the thornbush?” He thought God should have spoken instead in a peal of thunder or on the peak of some majestic mountain. The rabbi answered, ‘To teach you that there is no place on earth where God’s glory is not, not even in a humble thornbush.’”
- Doug said, “to hear the voice of God we must drown out our own voice, the voices of people around us and the voices of the world. How could you lower the volume on those competing voices this week?
- Doug noted that from Moses’ encounter we can learn have encounters with God by doing the following: LOOK, LISTEN, LEAN IN, and then LEAP. Talk about a time when God asked you to do something that was intimidating.
- Doug talked about how God’s work on us so He can work through us is like a refining process.
- READ: 1 Peter 1:6-7 “In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the PROVEN genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire -may result in praise, glory & honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.”
- How has God refined you in the past, or how is He refining you now? What is it like?
- NEXT STEPS:
- What is your NEXT STEP based on the message? How will you put it into practice? Be specific.
- *Memory Verse: 1 Peter 1:6-7 “In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire -may result in praise, glory & honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.”
- PRAYER: Spend some time praying and inviting God to speak to you this week. Tell Him how you will practically LOOK, LISTEN, and LEAN IN with holy curiosity. And if God is asking to do something specific, tell Him how you will LEAP.
- Scripture References: Exodus 3:1-10; Acts 7:20-30; 1 Peter 1:6-7